Saturday, August 27, 2011

Mt. Hood Classic and Cascade post race report

Seems like my funny little idea is growing rapidly now - I've picked up new members, joined a racing team, and tapped into a seemingly unlimited supply of bright orange Illegal Feed Zone T-shirts.

It was a great year for the IFZ, membership in the facebook page has doubled, I started this blog, and have scored two interviews with cycling celebrities.  I'm looking forward to next year already!

Here is the report from Mt. Hood and Cascade Classic:

Mt. Hood Classic:

First off, do the ride if you don't race in it.  The Queen stage is a 73 mile monster with three climbs over 2500 feet and some of the most amazing single lane forest service roads in the world.  When the race happened in May there was still 8 feet of snow at the sides of the road. 

The Illegal Feed Zone was a huge success as well.  Of all the races I've been to, this was the one where the peloton was the most broken up.  Riders were strung out, without support, and both mentally and physically destroyed by the time they hit the last climb (3000'!) and found the Illegal Feed Zone.  I ran out of Coke very quickly and was needing both of my new IFZ criminals to help me as everyone wanted a drink. 

Speaking of the new members; I rode the group ride with a couple guys that I work with that started a team called Soraz Racing.  Yes, it is pronounced soreass racing.  How could I not join that team?  Here I am ripping it up (HA!) in the Cat 3/4 race at PIR.  
Anyway, Dwayne and Noel became co-conspiritors after seeing the Illegal Feed Zone in Action.  They have access to some pretty sweet sticker machines and soon after they took THE OATH (Rule 1 of the Illegal Feed Zone: There is no Illegal Feed Zone) these banners showed up.

Here they are at Cascade Classic - more on that later....

Other notes from Mt. Hood Classic.  If I hand you a drink it will not be open, please don't complain about that.   I figure most racers want to know exactly what is going into their system and even though a dude on the side of the road with an official looking sign seems legit - well, I just don't think I should pass an open drink to someone.  This isn't cyclecross.   Of course if you are Kelly Crowley (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Illegal-Feed-Zone/309854441712#!/profile.php?id=715244602) I'll gladly open your drink because you absolutely kick ass and are a Major Inspiration.  
But to the masters dude who chucked his can of coke in a fit of whining rage because it wasn't opened..... - man up next time. 

Other than that one incident everyone was awesome! 

OK, switching brutal mountain stages to Cascade Classic; here is the report:

I brought in a new member at Cascade this year and met up with a couple of previous troublemakers to have a great time.  First stop was Safeway in Bend for some burger supplies.   Hmm, plain hamburger patties or the gourmet "Blue Cheese and Garlic" ones in the deli case.  Easy choice.  Once John (the new member who is also either my Aunt's brother in Law or my Mom's ex-boyfriend from High School) and I arrived at the scene and set up we went for a ride then got back in time to watch the pro men go by.  I still don't understand how after 4 hours of racing at 6000' with two big  huge(!) climbs they can still be bunched together.  But they are.  So the feed zone gets neglected a bit by those clowns going uphill at 20mph.   Seriously, who the hell goes uphill that fast and skips out on the sweet scenery and the IFZ?   Apparently the guys chasing Mancebo is who. 

Anyways, here are the burgers.  They were magnificent.  Sorry to all those that rode by and had to smell them.... 


  And, the best part of Cascade (for me) was getting to do a roadside interview! 

"Hi, are you Alison Starnes?"
"Yes"
"I'm Andy from the Illegal Feed Zone"
"Oh, ummm, ok?"
"Can I interview you for my blog?"
"Sure weirdo, whatever.  Thanks for the Coke."

It.   Was.     AWESOME!  

I'm pretty sure Velonews is going to be calling me any day now to hire me to do more groundbreaking journalistic work.  Not sure if the quotes are 100% accurate because like those dorks in Pro Men, Alison was doing 20mph up the hill and I ran out of oxygen very quickly as I was trying to run alongside with my bag o' drinks.  But, she was true to her word and provided me with an interview.  Thanks!

Other news:  The Illegal Feed Zone's wheel service is alive and well.  This time it was a rear wheel which thankfully one of us had a matching cassette.  Not me.  None of these wussies in today's peloton are rocking 9-speed Ultegra any more.  Lame.  Best part of wheel loaning is that when the racer comes back to return/retrieve his wheel he gets shanghei'd (spelling, I don't really care this late at night) into service of the IFZ. Sucker. 

All in all, it was a great day and I truly appreciate all of you who helped make it a lot of fun!  To the two of you who actually read this: thank you for your support and keep on reading!

Ride safe, ride fast, and keep on pedaling! 

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment